There are a few interesting people living in the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia). Andrey I is Russian TV celebrity, explorer and PR expert. German Arbugaev is entrepreneur, travel enthusiast, the Chochur Mouran ethnographic complex owner, Yakutian laika dog breeder, and a man of the Arctic (he lived many years in Tiksi). Sergey Sobolev is director of DASAAF Yakutsk Affiliate, ice diving and underwater hunting instructor. All of them are experienced divers.
What happened when they gathered together this year? Right. They’ve got an idea and arranged the so-called Target Shooting Under Ice Festival on the Amga River near the village of Abaga in South Yakutia, Siberia / Russia. It happened last week and… as they say… for the first time in the world.
Two men got courage to join such a Siberian challenge. They are Elshan Nazarov, constructor, and Alexey Voronzov, metalworker. They are also ice divers, but never tried hunting and target shooting under the ice river cover in winter.
Below, please, see pictures of divers’ shooting targets (artificial fishes) under ice. The outdoor temperature was -17C, water temp around 0 degree Celsius. Assignment was to swim 12 metre and hit targets from spearguns.
Well, it has all elements of ice diving, underwater hunting, spearfishing, and target shooting… and… that’s in a frozen Siberian river. Cool, isn’t it?!
- Extreme cold hunting journey in Oymyakon, Siberia / Russia. With reindeer sleds [photos]
- Crossing the Lena River by a motor boat in summer
- Yakutia in Antoine Corbisier-Baland’s pictures!
- 58 Photos: Sacred Kihilyakh, Verkhoyansk Mountains, Yakutia/Siberia
- Kihilyakh & the Fire of the 5th Children of Asia International Sports Games [87 photos]