This winter scene is good for a Merry Christmas card, though reindeer here is in his natural environment… in Oymyakon, one of the coldest inhabited places in the world. Located in Republic of Sakha-Yakutia, East Siberia & the Far East, Russia.
This magic is brought from my recent reindeer sledding with Even nomads through valleys, rivers, hills and mountains.
See more videos.
Hereby Kesha, one of herders, is catching reindeer with lasso to prepare a big caravan for 5 travelers. Eventually, he caught 25 animals. Before catching, his brother Misha found reindeer in mountains where they were freely roaming amoung snowy trees.
This is already on the 2nd day of sledding. It was the end of daytime and the temp was much below -40 degrees Celsius.
Definitely, it was an adventure of 2012.
See the full photo-video report on reindeer sled travel on my other blog http://AskYakutia.com.
- Oymyakon Weather in Yakutia, Siberia / Russia, Jan. 2010
- 70 Travel Photos: Reindeer Sledding w/ Even Herders in Oymyakon, Siberia, Russia
- Following the Even reindeer herders in the North (Arctic) of Yakutia, Siberia/Russia
- Extreme cold hunting journey in Oymyakon, Siberia / Russia. With reindeer sleds [photos]
- Polar bear population in the Arctic seashore of Yakutia increased over twice as much