Today we had minus 45 degree Centigrade and the Orthodox Church’s Epiphany holiday (wiki). Well, it is the day, when Orthodox priest bless the river waters and it became sacred. It is believed, when people sink in the blessed waters, they clear themselves from sins.
Irrespective of the cold weathers, believers or wanna-be believers come to the ice swimming pool and sink three times into the cold water of the Lena River. Looks chilly and exciting, though all action takes place inside the heated tent.
See 22 photographs taken in Yakutsk, Russia’s Siberia, on the Day of Epiphany. Enjoy and come one day to try it! Usually, it happens on every January 19th or a day before like today.
You might wish to see, how the Epiphany bathing looked like two years ago.
- Pictures of today’s extreme epiphany bathing in Yakutsk, Russia
- Patriarch Kirill about Orthodox Sakha
- Elanka, a lost village on the Lena River in Yakutia, Russia
- Snow Cover Day in Yakutsk, Russia. Oct. 14th, 2011. Photos, video, weather signs.
- A major Christmas / New Year Tree in Yakutsk, Russia [photo]